March 28, 2013

Spring, a time to start new...

The sun and warm weather are like a tonic.  I love watching my seedlings grow and I even enjoy the spring cleaning projects that seem to bring the sunshine into the condo.  It's also time to get reinvigorated about painting. (reinvigorated ... is that a real word?) 

This is the year I decided I would focus on larger paintings.  Although I really enjoy seeing the finished paintings on display, I find I'm not painting as often.  I wouldn't call it boredom but I do have the need for variety. Reverting to smaller paintings was not an option I would allow myself....so...

The solution for my desire for change and growth came via Informed Collectors artist choice for today:  Mara Schasteen.  While browsing her web page I came across her colour charts.  Hmmmm...  I started making charts a couple years ago but I never got past mixing individual colours with white.  These simple charts have been an amazing help to me over the years and I have taught all my students to make them.  Mara has taken the next step and made charts that mix all her primary colours with each other.  That's what I need. So today I sorted out the colours I would use and gessoed some plastic canvas sheets. Mara's charts are neat and tidy.  I'm more of a slap bang type person so mine aren't.  Hopefully in a few days I can show you some of my completed charts... this is a big project that will probably take me most of the spring.  I'll find something else to do for the summer I'm sure. 

Still a lot more to paint...

3 comments:

  1. I like it already! I want to explore this street!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, reinvigorated is a word. Have fun with your colour charts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Color charts are something I enjoy doing and yet do not manage beyond the original primary, secondary, tertiary color wheel. Don't know why...Maybe because I don't want to waste paint. LOL

    ReplyDelete